Statistics series in medical/public health/epi journals

I’m aware of the “Statistics Notes” series in the BMJ (https://www.bmj.com/specialties/statistics-notes), and I’m pretty sure that other medical/public health/epi journals have run similar series over the years, but I don’t know how to find them. If you know of other series, would you list them here, even if the journal doesn’t (yet) maintain a consolidated list of the articles the way BMJ does?

10 Likes

I’ve been tracking several of these in the bigger journals for our local methods journal club.

Navigation for these pages isn’t always that well set up (many don’t seem to have a direct link to the specific section section) so many of these links below are to search functions on the journal pages (and can be a bit broader than the exact series). In case a caveat is needed, I haven’t appraised all of these!

Part A: Statistics series that specifically exist for pedagogical purposes.

1. BMJ Statistics Notes: Martin Bland’s webpage lists all articles up to 2018 listed in chronological order on a single page (link to Statistics Notes on one page). These link through to the BMJ journal pages themselves. This is easier to navigate than the BMJ page (which only lists six articles per page!)

2. JAMA Statistics and Methods which are usually two PDF pages, with a worked example. The ones I have read generally go into more detail than the BMJ Statistics Notes. (JAMA search-specific link)

3. New England Journal of Medicine Statistics in Medicine series: note the following link is to their “Medical statistics” topic, which is broader than just this series, so I haven’t really worked out how many papers are in this series. (link to NEJM topic page for Medical Statistics)

Part B. Series for epidemiology-focused methods (I totally appreciate the arbitrary boundary between epidemiology and statistics for much of this material!)

1. International Journal of Epidemiology “Education corner” IJE search-specific link

Part C. Other searchable methods series

There are a couple of Epidemiology journals that have methods-specific sections as well, though this isn’t quite what you were asking for: I’m just listing these here as I had them to hand.

1. American journal of Epidemiology (link to AJE “Practice of Epidemiology”)

2. International Journal of Epidemiology (link to IJE Methods focused papers)

13 Likes

This is so helpful— thank you!

That is an awesome list James thanks for sharing.

I’d like to also mention David Streiner who has published scores papers that are tutorials and methodological commentary.

He has a link to a pre-formatted PubMED search on his bio at https://psychiatry.mcmaster.ca/directory/bio/david-l.-streiner

1 Like

One more collection from IJE: IJE Bias in Epidemiology series

1 Like

Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
Series: Key Concepts in Clinical Epidemiology

2 Likes

The European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EJCTS) also ran a series of primer articles a while back:

2 Likes

Adding one more:

• Nature Points of Significance: originally a monthly column in Nature methods, but the contributions have somewhat slowed over the years. Quite some topics have been covered and some bigger topics stretch over 2-4 separate columns each about 1-3 pages long.
2 Likes

At some point I will come back to edit the earlier item and add these additional suggestions to keep a list in one place… very interesting to see these additional ones too.

2 Likes

Research, Methods, Statistics | JAMA Network

I could not find the JAMA link to be working, so have attached a link that I used.

1 Like

Thanks for the note re: broken link – I think the JAMA search engine might have changed.

I think I’ve found the “correct” collection header now for this series:

(this returns the 5 pages of results for the Guide… series, whereas the Research, Methods, Statistics link picks up something like 174 pages of results!)

1 Like

As a p.s. could someone with appropriate permissions please make a wiki of the first reply from me above? (Statistics series in medical/public health/epi journals - #2 by James_Stanley)? Then I (and others) can add additional links and fix any broken ones.

1 Like

The AHA recently presented a statistical statement regarding best practice. Here is a link to that:

Recommendations for Statistical Reporting in Cardiovascular Medicine: A Special Report From the American Heart Association (ahajournals.org)

2 Likes

This is a truly excellent paper, except for implying that propensity score matching is a good idea.